Leadership for Millennials
My team and I were conducting several rounds of leadership training for several large companies and we found that a common concern in many companies was with how to deal with millennials.
Who are the millennials?
A google search produced these results:
- Baby Boomers: Born 1946-1964 (54-72 years old)
- Generation X: Born 1965-1980 (38-53 years old)
- Millennials: Born 1981-1996 (22–37 years old)
- Post-Millennials: Born 1997-Present (0-21 years old)
After discussions with Millennials, Baby Boomers and Gen X, we found that the attitudes towards having a career and long-term employments are quite different.
Values of Baby Boomers and Gen x
It turns out that Baby Boomers and Gen x, when they first good job at a large manufacturing firm, were quite proud that they bested the competition and were the chosen. They could look forward to stable employment, medical and retirement benefits.
Values of Millennials
The millennials we talked to didn’t care about stable employment, medical and retirement benefits. These concerns are far into the future and didn’t concern them.
What concerned them was today. Staying digitally connected and happy is their immediate goal.
The millennials have no fear. If they got fired, they feel they can easily get a job elsewhere.
What to do with Millennials
We have been running small surveys of millennials at the companies where we conduct management training and we are happy to share some of the insights we have gathered. Below is a list of what turn-on and what turn-off a millennial. We hope it will help you in managing your staff.
- Recognition and Praise
- Time learning from with Managers
- Learning how what they are doing now is making them more marketable
- Opportunities to learn new things
- Fun at work
- Small, unexpected rewards at work
- Hearing about the past
- Inflexibility about time
- Being watched and scrutinized
- Feeling pressure to convert to traditionalist behavior
- Disparaging comments about their generation’s tastes and styles
- Feeling disrespected
Lear more about leadership and management. Join the RMP Team in one of our public or in-house seminars.
RMP Consultancy Seminars are available in the following formats:
- Public Seminar at our training center in Quezon City Philippines
- In-House (at your site) Workshop Format for a Max of 25 pax (Recommended)
- Special Exclusive Run
- One-on-one Coaching
Please Call Marco or Claire:
Landlines: Tel (632) 697-0767, Tel (632) 579-0233
Mobile (Globe) 0917-882-5578, Mobile (Smart) 0920-918-7358
Comments are closed