Business Process Improvement and PDCA
Nearly all managers and business owners have Business Process Improvement as one of their priority tasks. Business Process Improvement means continuously looking for ways and means to deliver your product or process a little faster or at a lower cost than the last time and preferably faster and cheaper than your competitor. Doing both could result in better sales and higher profits. So, how do we achieve business process improvement?
How to implement simple business improvement
Many structured approaches have been developed for process improvement. At RMP Consultancy, we have been focused on LEAN and Six Sigma Methods as our primary approaches using the concept of continuous improvement and Plan-Do-Check-Act (PDCA) as our strategy.
The fundamental problem solving concepts require the following:
- Identify the goals
- Analyze the present state
- Develop a problem solving process
- Construct a plan
- Execute the plan
- Measure the results
The PDCA Cycle
As a problem-solving process, the PDCA Cycle can be a very useful guide or approach. It outlines the steps needed to systematically and incrementally introduce improvements and measure their effectiveness.
The Plan–Do–Check–Act (PDCA) Cycle is the problem-solving process developed by Walter Shewhart, an American statistician sometimes called the father of statistical quality control. It was also called the Shewhart Cycle by W. Edwards Deming and subsequently called the Deming Cycle by other writers.
The PDCA Steps
- Plan the process improvement work
- Do the planned work
- Check whether the improvements are working
- Act to modify the process based on the lessons learned
- Repeat until desired results are achieved
PDCA is your guide in your journey to achieve incremental improvement, or Kaizen as it is called in Japanese. It is part of the overall total quality management (TQM) process. It may not be as elegant as a high impact innovation, but it is a steady way to improve your business. Use it.
About the Author
Raffy Pefianco has a wide experience in retail, distribution and manufacturing management having run or consulted for chains of specialty stores for many years. He is currently focused on providing training and consulting to several of the largest companies in the Philippines and regularly runs public and in-house seminars on supply chain management.
Business Process Improvement Seminars from RMP Consultancy
These seminar are available in Public, Special Exclusive, and In-house formats. Call us and we are happy to discuss your training needs.
- Applying Kanban and Lean Methods in your Organization
- Basic Facilities Management and Maintenance Part II
- Basic Forecasting Training
- Business Analytics Essentials
- Business Process Mapping for Improvement
- Creative Thinking and Problem Solving
- Failure Modes and Effects Analysis FMEA Essentials (One Day)
- Forecasting for Inventory Control Seminar
- Lean Kaizen and Continuous Improvement Training
- Risk Management and FMEA
- Risk Management Essentials with FMEA (One Day)
- Strategic Workplace Management Seminar
- Tools for Business Process Improvement Seminar
- TQM: Creating a Culture of Continuous Improvement Workshop
RMP Consultancy Seminars are available in the following formats:
- Public Seminar at our training center in Quezon City Philippines
- In-House (at your site) Workshop Format for a Max of 25 pax (Recommended)
- Special Exclusive Run
- One-on-one Coaching
Please Call Marco or Claire:
Landlines: Tel (632) 697-0767, Tel (632) 579-0233
Mobile (Globe) 0917-882-5578, Mobile (Smart) 0920-918-7358
Comments are closed